Monday

(Sir) Andrew Motion came to Scarborough on the 20th of March. He read from his new book, inspired by Stevenson's 'Treasure Island', and spoke about his life as a writer.

I found it all fascinating. I especially enjoyed one response elicited by a question about the difference between poetry and prose. Motion responded: I used to agitate about the difference between prose and poetry but I don't care anymore, beyond a distillation of the story and a repetition of rhythm which comes in a poem, I'm not sure we can say much more. I've stopped worrying about it.

Something I've been saying for a long time, but it has more weight, I guess, for the former Laureate to come out in this way. I also liked one of his parting comments about creativity, that you light a flame, then let the words speak for themselves.